Creative Ways To Celebrate Valentine’s Day
February 2, 2021
With Valentine’s Day around the corner, why not have some creative fun with your family at home?
Columbia Art Center Director Liz Henzey was kind enough to share some easy yet engaging V-Day craft activities you can do with all ages. Best of all, each of these can be done while repurposing materials you may already have at home.
“These projects are ideal for gift-giving and home decorating during the season of love,” said Henzey. “Enjoy and have a wonderful holiday!”
Yarn-Wrapped Heart Creations
- Cut out a heart shape from a piece of cardboard. (Idea size: 3 inches in width)
- Tape the end of the yarn spool to the back of your heart.
- Wrap the yarn around the heart shape until the cardboard is completely covered.
- You can make it as thick or thin as you want.
- Cut off the yarn, loop the loose end through a piece of the wrapped yarn on the backside and tie a small knot to secure it.
- Display your creation on a shelf or a group of them in a bowl, or give as a gift!
Paint Strip Valentine’s Day Cards & Bookmarks
- Colored paint strips (ones you already have or you can pick up some Valentine-colored paint strips at a paint or hardware store)
- Colored markers or crayons
- Hole punch (Optional: Heart hole punch)
- Ribbon, yarn or colored string
- Optional: Ink stamps, stickers, adhesive beads
- Optional: Aerosol hair spray
- With markers or crayons, write a loved one’s initials, first name or short note on the strip.
- With hole punch, make a hole in the top of the strip. Tie ribbon, yard or colored string through the hole.
- If you have a heart hole punch, create a few hearts on your strip.
- Optional: Embellish with inked stamps and let dry for a few minutes. Then spray a light coat of aerosol hairspray on your creation to coat it. Again, let dry for a few minutes.
- Optional: Add Valentine’s Day themed stickers or adhesive beads to your creation.
- Give your handcrafted cards or bookmarks to loved ones!
Mason Jar of Inspiration
- Mason jar with lid
- Colored construction paper
- Pens and markers
- Valentine’s Day themed stickers and adhesive beads
- Cut colored construction paper into 3 inch by 3 inch squares.
- Fold each square.
- Inside, write a word or phrase of love or inspiration. Ex: You brighten my day or Don’t forget to laugh or Make it a great day or You make me smile.
- Each family member can make 5-10, or more.
- Add stickers and adhesive jewels to the outside of the Mason jar.
- Create a label for the jar or lid using your construction paper and markers.
- Put your folded notes of inspiration in the Mason jar.
- Place and tighten lid on jar.
- Wrap ribbon around the lid and tie a bow.
- Enjoy opening it and reading the notes or give as a gift!
Lace Votive Candles
- Lace (can be from spools, scraps, old clothes, placemats, etc.)
- Votives (can be different colors)
- Battery-operated votive candles
- Carefully wrap your lace around the votive.
- Apply several drops of glue to adhere the lace to the glass.
- Let dry.
- Place the battery operated votive candle in the votive.
- Enjoy at home or give as a gift!
Want More Creative Inspiration?
Columbia Art Center is home to plenty of fun programs, classes and workshops for artists of all ages and experience levels. Check out their website to learn more!