Out In The Open (Space): Updates for Week of Feb. 14
February 16, 2021
Ah, love is in the air. So is that cold winter weather! We ♥♥♥ all of the work that’s taking place despite that February chill.
Here’s what’s going on this week in Open Space:
- Beginning Wednesday, February 17, the Lake Elkhorn pathway will be partially closed. Crews will replace an existing drain pipe and widen the path and asphalt surface overlay. The section of the pathway between Angelina Circle and Swan Point will be closed 7am-4pm Monday through Friday for the next four weeks or so (weather permitting). The area that will be closed off is marked in red. The detour route follows the dotted blue line.
- Weed Warriors training starts up again next month with sessions on March 18 and March 25. Learn more about these awesome volunteers and sign up for a training today!
- If you have ever considered going solar, there’s an event for you coming up in March. Columbia residents can join their local co-op to go solar as a group and score a discount in the process. Think about it as buying in bulk. If you want to learn more, CA is teaming up with Civic Works again to provide information on the tax credit program and how to get involved by joining us on Zoom on March 24. Details can be found by clicking here.
Winter is still here, but Spring is very near! 🌸🌷🌼 SPRING INTO SAVING ENERGY and join Civic Works and @ColumbiaAssn for our upcoming online Solar Information Session via Zoom – on Wednesday, March 24th, at 6:30 PM. pic.twitter.com/nyCnwv6Z91
— Civic Works Energy Programs (@retrofitbmore) February 5, 2021
- Villages are starting to plan their Pull & Plant events for the spring. King’s Contrivance has one set for March 28, and Hickory Ridge should mark its calendar for April 18. More details to come…
- A little bit of inside baseball, but Open Space has a new internal system that’s helping the team repair and replace tot lot equipment more efficiently than ever. The technology allows crews to send pictures back to headquarters from the field and update their progress in real time. Pretty cool, huh? Check out the Board of Directors presentation for a look at this system and how it works (around 33:12 in the YouTube live stream recording).
- With the help of the villages, we want to plant 1,000 trees in the Columbia community this year! We’ll start with a physically distanced planting event in Owen Brown in April. If you’re interested in being part of the 1K with CA tree planting push, contact your village and encourage them to participate.
- Your wildlife photos continue to make us smile through these cold weeks indoors. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to see them for yourself or spot one of yours on CA’s social media pages. Post your animal shots with #ColumbiaWildlife so we can track them down and share them with our followers!