CA’s Comprehensive Plan for Serving the Older Adult Community reflects CA’s commitment to providing services and resources for Columbia’s older adult residents and visitors. Learn more about the many resources offered by local, state and national agencies, and public organizations.
- Maryland Access Point (MAP) is your link to health and support services. Explore your options, search for resources, plan and prevent, and connect with your local MAP.
- Howard Community College offers special programs for seniors.
- Howard County 50+ Centers offer recreational programs and activities for adults. There are six 50+ Centers, one nutrition site and five therapeutic programs for individuals with additional support needs.
Howard County Fire and Rescue Services offers a safety seminar for older adults: Fire and Fall Prevention Program. They also provide free home safety visits and smoke alarm installations to older adults in an effort to reduce the risks of fire and falls in the home.
- Howard County Office on Aging and Independence promotes the full inclusion of persons with disabilities, addresses the needs of an increasingly diverse cultural community, and supports the desires of our citizens to remain independent as they grow older.
- Howard County Recreation and Parks offers myriad programs and activities for mature adults.
- Neighbor Ride enhances the health and quality of life for Howard County’s seniors by providing affordable, volunteer-based supplemental transportation.
- Reinvest*Renovate*Restore is Howard County’s Housing Repair Loan Program to help income eligible homeowners make necessary housing repairs. It is designed to assist homeowners to maintain residency and property as well as improve overall neighborhood appearance.
- Speak(easy) Howard is a community campaign that provides a simple and approachable way to start thinking about the health care you would want if you are unable to communicate these wishes to your doctors.
- The Loan Closet is a free lending center for medical and rehabilitation equipment for older adults.
- The Village In Howard is a member-based community of Howard County residents aged 55 years and older who want to continue to live independently in the homes and neighborhoods they know.
Howard County Property Tax Credits
- Tax Credit Central is Howard County’s resource for property tax credit information. It is designed to help homeowners determine eligibility and apply for one or more of the county’s residential tax credits.
- Coalition of Geriatric Services is a nonprofit organization of public agencies, private companies and individuals who provide services to older adults.
- Maryland Gerontological Association is a state association for those who work in the field of gerontology.
- Meals on Wheels Central Maryland strives to enable people to live independently at home through the provision of nutritious meals, personal contact and related services.
- Mental Health Association of Maryland is a nonprofit citizen’s organization that connects concerned citizens for unified action in all aspects of mental health and mental illness. It established the Older Adults Vibrant Minds program to address the need for widespread education and advocacy regarding mental wellness and the aging process.
- The Erickson School: Management of Aging Services at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County is a premier resource for education, research and policy on services for the mid-life and older populations.
- The Johns Hopkins Geriatric Education Center Consortium includes academic institutions and health education nonprofits that offer geriatric educational materials and resources.
- University of Maryland Baltimore is home to internationally recognized interdisciplinary and interprofessional research and education programs and centers in the field of geriatrics and gerontology.
- Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research.
- American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for all as they age.
- Americans for Older Driver Safety aims to advocate for safer roads for older drivers and all Americans. Advocacy efforts to raise public awareness of the safety risks related to unmonitored changes in driver abilities include driver education, assessment, retraining and transitioning.
- American Society on Aging (ASA) is a multidisciplinary association of diverse individuals and offers nationally recognized professional education and resources to support those seeking to improve the quality of life of older adults and their families.
- Administration for Community Living/Office on Aging is the federal agency designated to carry out the provisions of the Older Americans Act of 1965 (OAA). The OAA promotes the wellbeing of older adults by providing services and programs designed to help them live independently in their homes and communities.
- American Federation for Aging Research is a nonprofit organization that supports and promotes healthier aging through biomedical research.
- Elder Care Locator is a public service of the Administration for Community Living that connects consumers to services for older adults and their families. The locator is administered by the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging (n4a), which represents the national network of federally funded area agencies on aging.
- Medline Plus provides medical health and wellness information from the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
- Medicare.gov is the official United States government website for Medicare. It has a helpful plan finder tool that is a powerful aid for comparing and reviewing the Medicare health plans and prescription drug plans that are available.
- National Council on Aging is a nonprofit organization that works to improve the lives of older adults through partnerships with government, business and nonprofit organizations through innovative community programs and services, online help, and advocacy.
- National Institute on Aging is one of the National Institutes of Health, a federal agency. It promotes healthy aging by conducting and supporting biomedical, social, and behavioral research and public education.
- Women’s Institute for a Secure Retirement (WISER) works to improve the long-term financial security of all women through education and advocacy.