Four fun ways to get fit with CA
Sticking to your New Year’s resolution can be a challenge, no matter what you’ve chosen to change.
If you’re looking to improve your health and overall fitness in 2017, there are many great ways for CA to help. While the formula for successful weight loss is simple — eat healthy and exercise regularly — it’s not always easy to achieve. Columbia Association helps make it easier.
Here are just a few of the many great options available at CA. For more information about these and other options such as personal training and group fitness, visit www.columbiaassociation.org, or subscribe to the Fitness e-newsletter at www.columbiaassociation.org/notify.
Whether you like your skates with wheels or steel under your feet, CA has the perfect skating opportunities at Columbia Ice Rink in Oakland Mills and the Columbia Skate Arena at Supreme Sports Club. A 160-pound person roller skating at a moderate pace burns roughly 550 calories per hour, according to the Mayo Clinic, making these skating rinks a fun change of pace for your winter workouts.
Supreme Sports Club allows skaters to enjoy 12,658 square feet of maple wood and a state of the art skating surface. The rink is open from 7-10pm on Fridays, 1-4pm and 7-10 pm on Saturdays, and 1-4pm on Sundays, as well as special hours when schools are out. Click here for prices.
Want to show your stuff on the ice, instead?
Columbia Ice Rink offers open skate sessions, as well as skating lessons and hockey. Admission is free for Package Plan Plus members, $8 for facility members/Columbia Cardholders and $9 for nonmembers; skate rentals are $3.50.
Shred the pounds with BodyPump™
Celebrate the 100th release of a favorite workout, BodyPump, on Saturday, Jan. 21 at Supreme Sports Club.
BodyPump is for anyone looking to get lean, toned and fit — and fast. Using light to moderate weights with lots of repetition, BodyPump gives you a total body workout. Instructors will coach you through the scientifically proven moves and techniques while pumping out encouragement, motivation and great music — helping you achieve much more than on your own! You’ll leave the class feeling challenged and motivated, ready to come back for more.
With winter temperatures settling in, it can be tough to get out on your bike. Spandex might be great for riding, but it’s not a very warm fabric! But you don’t need to ditch your spandex when you visit the MyRide Cycling studio at Supreme Sports Club, where you’ll feel like you’re out on the road despite the comfortable indoor temperatures, all while high definition forward-motion video makes you feel as if you’re cycling through beautiful scenery.
Dance the pounds away!
One of the most fun ways to get fit is to shake it on the dance floor — but you don’t need to hit the club to find a place to dance. CA offers a variety of dance-based classes, including popular options like Zumba® and the new Cardio Dance Party at Columbia Athletic Club, Columbia Gym and Supreme Sports Club. A majority of each Zumba class — about 70 percent — is made up of Latin dance moves while the other 30 percent consists of a mixture of styles chosen by the instructor. With Cardio Dance Party, instructors are free to mix and match a variety of styles, allowing for a little more freedom and flair.