Address: 5901 Rivendell Lane , Columbia, MD 21044
Hours of Operation: Dawn to Dusk ;Open Year Round (Closed Thursday mornings for maintenance)
Columbia DogPark Application: Please fill out the application for Columbia DogPark and fax the completed forms to Columbia Association Open Space Management at 410-312-6327 (You must present proof of current rabies vaccination record before your dog(s) can enter the park.)
Columbia DogPark is an off-leash area operated and maintained by Columbia Association. Columbia DogPark offers a recreation and park setting for dog lovers and dog owners to enjoy. The park consists of 2.7 acres divided into two fenced areas one for small and one for large dogs.
- Small dog area: Consist of .7 acres devoted to small dogs weighing less than 25 lbs.
- Large dog area: Two acres designed for active dogs weighing more than 25 lbs.
The off-leash area is open from dawn to dusk except for scheduled maintenance.
The first dog park visit can be a little stressful for the novice user (human and dog), first-time visitors might want to consider visiting the park at non-peak times. Peak times are Mondays through Fridays in the early mornings or late afternoons until dusk, and all day on Saturdays and Sundays. If you give your dog a little time, however, you may be pleasantly surprised by the change, and you may have a healthier, friendlier, and more playful dog.
Know Your Dog!
Not all dogs are good candidates for off-leash dog parks. If your dog has not had regular interaction with other dogs, he or she may lack the necessary social skills to make your dog’s trip safe and enjoyable. Supervise your dog closely at all times to prevent aggression and other inappropriate behaviors. Dogs that bark persistently are a nuisance and may be requested to be removed from the premises by the CA representative.
Dogs have different play styles, temperaments and physical abilities. If your dog’s play is making other dog owners uncomfortable, consider going to another area of the dog park or perhaps return at another time.
Stay alert at all times.
Remember to scoop your dog’s poop.
Help keep Columbia DogPark safe and clean.
Canine Safety Warning Signs
Prevent Fights: Remember the 4 “P’s
- Posture: A dog’s body language communicates fear, hostility, or submission. Learn to read and respond to body language.
- Packing: More than 4 or 5 dogs packed together can lead to trouble. Break up the problem by leading your dog to a neutral area at least 30 feet away.
- Possession: A ball, or other toys, most dogs will protect what is theirs. Remain aware and consider not bringing these items.
- Provoking: If your dog is continuously annoying other dogs or exhibiting aggression, it’s time to leave the park.
What Do You Do if a Fight Happens?
- Keep Calm. Yelling only adds to the over-excited frenzy.
- Never reach with your hands into the mix. You may get bitten, even by your own dog.
- Distract or divert their attention by a blast of water from a bottle, a loud whistle, or a pocket air horn.
- If your dog is not involved, keep him/her out of the fight.
- Control your dog and move him/her to a neutral area.
If Your Dog Inflicts an Injury:
You must give your name and phone number to the other dog owner before leaving the area. Owners are legally and financially responsible for their dog(s) behavior and any injuries, damages, or loss their dog may cause
Off Leash Area Rules and Regulations
Columbia DogPark is not supervised. Handlers are legally responsible for their dog(s) at all times. Columbia Associa-tion assumes no responsibility or liability for conduct of dog(s) or their owners/handlers.
Handlers are required to…
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a maximum of two (2) dogs per handler enter the park at one time
- Immediately clean-up after their dog(s) and properly dispose of their dog(s) feces
- Have a current dog license and current vaccination records and proof of each
- Keep their dog(s) leashed upon entering or exiting the off-leash area
- Remain in the off-leash area with their dog(s) at all times and must always maintain sight of their dog(s) as well as voice-command control
- Render immediate first aid if their dog(s) are injured while at the park and must notify other handlers if they suspect that their dog(s) has caused any injuries
Not permitted in the Off-leash Area
- Children under twelve (12) years of age
- Dogs showing aggression towards people or other dogs. Dogs must be immediately leashed and removed.
- Smoking and eating
- Dog treats or training treats
- Professional dog trainers conducting their business
- Dogs in heat
- Dogs under the age of four (4) months
- Animals other than dogs
- Digging in or around the areas by humans or dogs
- Glass containers
Benefits of an Annual Registration By completing an annual registration for the Columbia DogPark you will have unlimited daily visits during regular park hours. The annual registration is valid one calendar year from the date of issuance and includes an official Columbia DogPark dog tag. Dog tag(s) must be worn by your dog to let others know that your dog has been safely vaccinated against rabies.
Columbia DogPark Daily Visit You may register for a Daily Visit at the Columbia DogPark for $5.00 Residents (R) and $6.00 Non-residents (NR). The daily visit fee is for a one-day access to enter the park. You must be able to present proof of a current dog license and current rabies vaccination for your dog(s) during a daily visit.
Payment Options Fees are not pro-rated. We accept cash or checks and most major credit cards. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover Make checks made payable to Columbia Association
Columbia Association staff monitors the dog park regularly to ensure that park users are properly registered and identified. Users found without proper registration will be asked to leave.
Directions to the Park
Columbia DogPark is located at 5901 Rivendell Lane , Columbia, MD 21044 near Cedar Lane. The site is on the north side of Columbia Sports Park (located in the Harper’s Choice Village Center) and adjacent to Cedar Lane Park.
To Report Animal Emergencies Contact: Howard County Animal Control 8576 Davis Rd Columbia, MD 21045 410-313-2780 Monday thru Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. after hours/weekends: 410-313-2929.